Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fifth Week of 2011

I had a disappointing soccer game today. I was playing physically, but got thrown into the ground with two hands by a jerk who insisted he was trying to protect me. I did get a bit too physical toward the end of the game, but I felt that I contained my frustration in standing my ground without whining or decking everyone.

But afterward, I thought about where I stand as a player in the current league. While I still got tons of room to improve in dribbling, I am relatively competent in passing and shooting in our casual league (although I was a bit off in both areas today). But our defense is below average, especially when we don't have a couple of key players. A question emerged: given that I'm not a bad player, how can I make my teammates better? Isn't that a hallmark of a truly great player?

My favorite EPL team, Liverpool, is going through a rough phase with their superstar striker, Fernando Torres, announcing that he wants to be traded and move out of the underperforming team. In today's game, I looked like him on a few occasions, grunting and sulking as we conceded some silly goals. But when I am reading Fernando's story, I'm sadly shaking my head because as much as I understand not wanting to lose, his attitude doesn't help but worsens the team.

I'm not sure how I can help the team other than making a few suggestions on our strategies without being over-imposing. More importantly, however, is my attitude: clapping when we concede a goal, saying it's okay (even when it is a silly goal to give up) and helping others not get discouraged. Recognizing that people look for me to pick up the offensive load, so I know my frustrations do not go unnoticed. Given my competitive nature, this will be challenging. So then, I thought that I should pray before every game for my attitude toward the teammates and opposing players as well as my outbursts, some of which are downright disgraceful in Christ's view.

Then over in the shower, it dawned on me that I should be constantly praying: not only for occasions where I think I need the Holy Spirit, such like playing in a soccer game, leading the Bible study and reading the Scripture...but for everything. The thing is, I can't recall ONE time where a prayer didn't change my heart toward the topic I was praying for. While it is logistically impossible to pray before my every action, seeking the Holy Spirit's presence and guidance on all things--regardless of self-assessment on how much I will need Him on certain things but not others--is the essence of Christian life.

So that will be the beginning of my lesson planning for tonight. I hope it continues throughout this week and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment