My room is a mess...it also has 14 exit slips from my summer school students who told me why they want to go to college and what will be necessary to do so. I promised them that I would write back to them.
I am, among things going on in my life, SOOO petrified about the reality unfolding in two weeks that I have been avoiding the process of sitting myself down and preparing for the upcoming fall. Come the last week of August, they are going to entrust me a daunting task of teaching 50 to 60 sixth graders mathematics, and more importantly, a little bit about life. Having experienced so many ups and downs this summer, I am scared to start preparing, let alone begin the school year.
So I am going to start this process by writing back to my summer school students. Hopefully thinking about my mistakes (and some success) there will remind me why I made the switch in the first place. I just finished reading the book about two founders of KIPP--seems like they messed up a lot when they began as teachers, which is incidentally when I came to the States. Thinking about three Roots kids I dropped off today--and two brothers asking me if I'll see them next Sunday--left me a bit sad, but it also reminded me why I might become a decent enough teacher and educator: because I am intent on forming relationships and transferring knowledge and character through them.
Wrapping many thoughts in my head as I clean up my messy room, which reflects the state of my mind: over the next two weeks, I am going to work harder than I have all summer long. The Institute will seem like a breeze, but I will actually enjoy the next two weeks.
Good job you, good job me, good job everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment